Saturday, April 7, 2012

New Busy Mama Kitchen Gadgets, Yummy kid friendly cheesy zucchini, plus more!

So today I had to run to Target to get some meat & such for the Easter cookout we're having...  Like many trips to Target, I found myself on aisles I didn't belong.  All of the cookware, dishes, and kitchen gadgets were so colorful and new I just had to get a couple things.  80-90% of the gadgets, cookware, and even plates in my kitchen are hand-me-downs from my mom or mom-in-law.  They're likely 2-3 decades old and many convenience items, I just don't have.  Here are a couple of things I picked up today while I was there:
  • An olive oil mister


I am so excited about this!  Now I don't have to buy the can of olive oil spray, with all the chemicals and preservatives.  You just fill it up with your favorite oil and boom! Instant no-stick spray! 

  • Citrus juicer
For fresh squeezed juices!  I use a lot of lemon & lime juice for recipes so this should make it a lot easier.  The next appliance I want for my kitchen is a real juicer, for veggies, etc.  I am looking at reviews on amazon right now and checking prices.  Let me know if you have a juicer and love it.  I need recommendations! 

  • Fruits and veggies party tray
******

Tonight's dinner was cheesy zucchini with pasta.  The kids LOVED it!  Here are some pics and the recipe:

Cheesy Zucchini
  •  5 small zucchinis, chopped lengthwise
  • 1/4 c almond milk, unsweetened original (or other milk)
  • 4 oz organic cheddar, shredded
  • 2 oz parmesan, shredded
  • sea salt & pepper
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Place zucchini in casserole dish.   On stove top, pour in cheeses and milk and cook over medium heat, stirring, until cheese is melted.  Add sea salt & pepper to taste.  Pour cheese mixture over zucchini and place in oven for 35-40 minutes, or until zucchini is tender. 

I served the cheesy zucchini with pasta and my homemade spaghetti sauce.  You can use any type of pasta, but I had a bag of veggie rotini I wanted to try.

 I got it on clearance from walmart a month or so ago.  I cooked it according to package directions and mixed it with my spaghetti sauce.  And dinner was served!

Although I had the pasta on the side of the zucchini, I cut up the zucchini for the kiddos and mixed it into the pasta.  I served the kiddos with some pineapples and cantaloupes.  Chris made a happy plate!


Today was my day to bring snacks to Addy's soccer game.  I had planned on making my flax seed peanut butter cookies, but I ran out of the maple syrup these require.  So, I checked my pantry and decided that I had enough to make a trail mix.  Here is what I combined to make a super yummy & healthy trail mix:
  • 3/4 c carob chips
  • 1/2 c each - raw unsalted walnuts, raw unsalted pecans, & raw unsalted almonds (mixed with 1 T honey and toasted in oven at 250 degrees for 20 min)
  • 1 c plain cheerios
  • 1 c brown rice puffs (toasted with 1 honey)
  • 1.5 c banana chips
  • 1 c raisins

The game got cancelled because of the rain, so now we have a huge bag of this in our pantry.  Addy definitely loves it though, so it will be great as a snack for school or before practice.  

Well the Easter bunny needs to fill up some baskets before bed, so thanks for reading and Happy Easter!!

No comments:

Post a Comment