Thursday, May 31, 2012

Fit Mama Does Yoga, Anemia Update and Yummy Tomato Feta Quiche!

If you read my blog about the gym, then you know all of my favorite gym classes to take.  But in the last couple weeks, I have become completely obsessed with Yoga.  I used to not like Yoga because I didn't feel like it was a good "fat burning" workout when I was in weight loss mode.  But now that I am at my goal weight, there is literally no other workout that has reshaped my body like Yoga.  There are many different types of Yoga and I am not an expert on all of them but my favorite is Hot Yoga (AKA Hot Vinyasa).  I have never sweat so much in my life and I have ran 3 half-marathons!  It feels good to detox my body as I work my muscles.  For those who think Yoga is all stretching and meditating, let me tell you, it's HARD!  I see some muscle men (probably just there to check out the girls) in Yoga who are struggling to hold the poses.  Now, there are some forms of Yoga that are stretching, such as Yin/Restorative Yoga.  If you have a gym membership, try out the next Yoga class or join a Yoga studio.  I promise you won't be disappointed. 



I also got my husband into Yoga recently because he's trying to ease back into working out.  He loves it and is always sore after class!  We have Hulu Plus and there are TONS of Yoga workouts on there.  If you have Hulu, just search "Yoga" and you will see all of them.  The other morning, we did the "Family Yoga" on Hulu.  Here is Sophia doing downward facing dog, excellent form!
 And here is Christian's no-hands version of "down dog".  That's level 3!
I believe in getting the whole family involved in fitness.  Go for a run with your kids, a swim, family bike ride, play basketball, or do family Yoga!  Or if your babies are still little, put them in the jogging stroller and go for a jog with them outside.  Get out and get active. 

A couple blogs ago, I talked about my diagnosis of iron-deficient anemia (see blog here).  Since then, I have paid very close attention to what I'm eating and ensuring that the foods I eat are high in iron.  In addition, I was at Akins last week and the lady recommended Hema-Plex, which has the iron supplement, along with B12 and a couple other vitamins. 
I haven't had my blood re-checked but I fell great!  I have SO much energy, I actually turned down Starbucks my husband was offering to buy the other day.  Many times, I don't need coffee in the afternoon like I couldn't live without before.  Plus, no headaches!  I was having headaches every day and I haven't even had 1 since before I added more iron to my diet.  And, overall I feel more patient and less irritable (much to my husband's satisfaction). 

The other night, I made a yummy fetal tomato quiche, which was one of my emeals.  I love quiches because they're super easy to make and so versatile.  Here is the recipe.

Tomato Feta Quiche (adapted from emeals)

  • dozen organic cage free eggs
  • salt & pepper
  • 3 sliced vine ripened tomatoes
  • 1/2 c feta
  • 1/2 c basil, chopped
  • 2 T olive oil
Whisk eggs with pinch salt & pepper and basil.  Heat olive oil in non-stick ovenproof skillet.  Add egg mixture, after 1 min add tomato slices.  Cook for an additional 7 minutes.  Add crumbled feta and place under broiler for 2 min.  Cut into wedges with a pizza cutter.  (I might add that mine took a little longer to set.  I actually put it back in the broiler for an additional 3 minutes and then cooked on the stove again for a couple minutes.  You will know when it's done when it's not runny anymore. 

The only downside of this dish is that it's pretty high in fat with the eggs, olive oil, and cheese.  So, this may be good for every once in a while.  Serve this with a little mixed salad on the side or some baked or steamed veggies. 

We are leaving for vacation on Saturday for 8 days in Dallas & San Antonio so if there is a lull in my blogs, that's why!  Thanks for reading!!

No comments:

Post a Comment