Tuesday, May 1, 2012

I'm Alive! Big Race Results, BEST EVER Chicken Quesadilla Recipe, and Food Prep

Well last week was a complete nightmare.  It started with my 2 year old vomiting, she obviously caught some sort of stomach bug.  Then Wednesday I woke up feeling off and my 9 year old woke up sick.  We went to the Dr and she had strep.  She missed school for 3 days, more than she has missed all year!  I was very sick through Saturday.  I went to the Dr on Friday and was diagnosed with a migraine.  I had never been diagnosed before but it is worse than just a headache!  It affected my whole body and made me very sick.  After recovering from that, I caught the stomach bug my 2 year old had.  That started Friday night through Saturday.  Sunday was my big half-marathon race in Oklahoma City and I hadn't eaten in 3 days and was still feeling very weak.  I knew that I had every valid excuse not to run but I also knew how disappointed I would be if I didn't run my race.

(Here I am with my babies the day before my race in OKC.  I was very ill here but hiding it pretty well)


Since I had been sick and I knew I was going into the race weak and dehydrated, I made a couple ground rules for myself:
1.  I would not keep track of my pace.  I turned off runkeeper and didn't know what my pace was exactly, I just listened to my body.  If I felt ok, I sped up a stride.  If I was feeling weak, I would slow down.
2.  I would stop at EVERY water stop and walk while I drank some water.  I am always afraid I will have to go to the bathroom, so I don't drink much while I run.  In this case though, I needed lots of fluids to keep going.
3.  I would have fun.  I had no music in my ears, so I smiled and waved at the supporters, I slapped kiddos' hands, talked to my fellow runners, laughed....I had so much fun!

Results?  Well, I finished in 2:20 (10:30 or so per mile)!  It was not my goal time, but I am so glad that I finished respectively considering my condition.  

(Here is a very blurry pic of me & my fam right after my race) Oh yeah and it started raining at about mile 8 until the end.  Which was kind of nice because I was sweating, it was 70 degrees and muggy. 

Last week, I made the most awesome chicken quesadillas I've ever had and the kids loved it too!  Here is the recipe:

Chicken, Black Bean & Corn Quesadillas
  • 3 c shredded rotisserie chicken
  • 2 c organic shredded cheddar
  • 15 oz can black beans, rinsed & drained
  • 15 oz can organic low sodium corn, drained
  • 4 oz low fat cream cheese, softened
  • 1/2 c salsa
  • 2 T minced cilantro
  • 8 burrito size whole wheat tortillas
In a bowl, combine chicken, cheese, beans, corn, cream cheese, salsa and cilantro.


Spoon about 1/2 c mixture in each tortilla and fold over to enclose filling. Spray both sides of tortilla with whole oil spray.  Cook quesadillas over medium heat, 3-4 min per side until golden brown. 

This was a SUPER EASY dinner to whip up.  I got home from Addy's sports conditioning class at 5:20 and dinner was ready by 5:45.  Boo-ya!  The only negative is all the cheese and cream cheese.  I don't cook with cream cheese usually, let alone 2 c of cheese in 1 recipe.  So, I would say this is good for every once in a while.  Or maybe I could sub out the cream cheese with something else. 

Yesterday was the first day I was feeling 100% and I had a lot of catching up to do.  I hadn't cooked in 5 days or done any meal prep or anything in the kitchen for that matter.  So, I got to work:

I made another batch of protein bars (Find the recipe here on my FB Page, under Photos: Meals & Snacks)

Chopped all the veggies in my fridge so that they are ready for my meals for the rest of the week


(Zucchini, red pepper, carrots, cucumbers, 4 onions, bok choy, kale, etc)

Made a batch of my hummus - with 1/2 c diced red peppers in there!  (Find the basic hummus recipe here on my FB Page)

And slow cooked some dry garbanzo beans


It felt so good to be back to normal and eating my fave lunch
A big veggie salad.  In today's mix?  3 c spinach, 1/2 c carrots, 1/2 c black beans, 1/2 avocado, and 1/2 c cucumber with 2 T of my lightened up Goddess Dressing.


Oh and you know I can't eat anything without my little chubster running around.  He likes the avocados and black beans with the goddess dressing.  The boy's got good taste!!

Well that's about it for now, thanks for reading!!


2 comments:

  1. i love reading your posts :) I'm so proud of you for running!! I don't think I could have done it. You're awesome!! oh...and I'll be trying these quesadillas ASAP!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sara!! :) Yes, the quesadillas are AWESOME

    ReplyDelete