Saturday, May 12, 2012

FIt Mama Farmer's Market, plus Banana Bread, Chicken Pita and Super Easy Quiche Recipes!

This past Wednesday was my first day going to the Tulsa Farmer's Market (on Brookside).

 I wasn't really sure what to expect since I've never made it down there.  But, I did bring my weekly meal plan and grocery list (from 100daysofrealfood.com).  View the free meal plans here on 100 Days of Real Food FB Page.


Plus I had a list of some other things I wanted to have on hand.  So here is what I bought:

1 onion, fresh dill, tomatoes, 3 humongous cucumbers, snap peas, green beans, carrots, kale, mixed salad greens, spinach, pint strawberries, head broccoli, 1 bunch asparagus, and red potatoes.  I spent a total of $40 on this produce.  Which I thought was a great deal.  Not all was certified organic because it is a hard process to become "certified".  However, I only bought produce that was chemical/pesticide free (which most were). 

The items I couldn't find at the market, I bought at Whole Foods (which happened to conveniently be the parking lot in which the market was located).  Here is what is on the meal list for the week:

Breakfasts:
Oatmeal (100% whole wheat quick oats) with agave & organic PB
Greek Yogurt (plain 0%) with agave
Mom's Best Naturals Cereal
Whole Wheat Pancakes
Homemade whole wheat crepes
Pecan Maple breakfast cookies
Banana bread

Lunches:
Applegate turkey hot dogs with whole wheat buns with fruit
Organic turkey & cheese on whole wheat bread or whole wheat pita
Leftovers from dinner
Organic PB with raw honey on whole wheat bread

Dinners:
Veggie Kabobs with homemade teriyaki sauce (with quinoa)
Grilled Veggie Quesadillas (with steamed broccoli)
Spaghetti with Meat & Veggie Sauce (with side salad)
Greek Fajitas (with leftover quinoa & mixed veggies)
Cheesy Quiche (with grilled asparagus)
Crispy Baked Chicken with baked red potatoes and fruit salad

Snacks:
Easy Cheesy Crackers
Hummus with carrots
PB&J Smoothie
PB & Bananas
Banana Bread

Seems like a lot of work when I write it all out but it's really not that big of a deal when you have all the ingredients on hand.  

After I got home from grocery shopping on Wednesday, the first thing I did was make the homemade banana bread on my meal list.  AND IT IS AWESOME!  My kids LOVE it!  Here is the recipe.

Whole Wheat Banana Bread (from 100daysofrealfood.com)
  • 2 ¼ cup whole-wheat flour (might be good with ww pastry flour too)
  • ¾ teaspoon baking soda
  • ¼ teaspoon salt
  • 3 ripe bananas, mashed
  • ¼ cup plain yogurt
  • ¼ cup honey
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/3 cup oil (I used coconut oil)
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and grease pan.
  2. Whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt.
  3. In a separate bowl mix mashed bananas with yogurt, honey, eggs, oil, and vanilla.
  4. Fold the banana mixture into the flour mixture until blended. Do not overmix.
  5. Pour batter into prepared pan.
  6. Bake large loaf for 40 – 50 minutes or until it comes clean with a toothpick.
Yummy!!  Great for breakfast, snack, or after-dinner treat!  

I am all about super-simple meals, especially when I have a lot going on with the kids.  The other night, I made up some chicken pitas (from my eMeals) and they were so easy and delish.  Here is the recipe.

Greek Chicken Pitas (adapted from eMeals)

  •  Whole roasted chicken (I buy the organic chickens from Whole Foods and cook them in the slow cooker on low for 4-4.5 hrs)  
  • 6 whole wheat pita rounds
  • 1 plum tomato or cherry tomatoes cut up
  • red onion, thinly sliced
SAUCE
  • 1 cucumber, peeled and coarsely chopped
  • 1.5 c greek plain 0%fat yogurt
  • 1.5 t dried dill weed
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 t white vinegar
  • 1 t lemon juice
  • 1 T olive oil
  • salt & pepper, to taste
Remove chicken from bone & slice.  Combine all sauce ingredients in blender or food processor and blend until smooth.  Stuff each pita with chicken, tomatoes, and onion and top with sauce.  Warm pitas, if desired, in toaster oven for a couple minutes. 

Serve with a small side salad, mixed veggies, and/or fruit salad!

My first meal from the 100 days of real food meal plan was a quiche.  I love quiches because they're super easy to make and there is tons of flexibility on what you can put in there.  Here is the base recipe then you can add whatever you like, I have examples below the recipe.

Whole Wheat Quiche (100 days of real food)
(Crust)
  • 1.5 cups whole-wheat flour (after making this, I believe that ww pastry four would make the crust better)

  • 1/2 cup melted butter (I use Earth Balance)
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 tablespoons milk
In a 9-inch pie pan, combine all ingredients and mix with a fork. After mixing well, use your hand to form a ball in the pan and then press into pan. Bring it up on the sides and pinch the top (with your finger or a fork). Then mix and pour quiche filling right into the raw crust…..

(Quiche Filling)

  • 1.5 cups 2% organic milk (you can also use cream or regular half & half, but we think it’s tasty with good ol’ milk)
  • 4 farmers’ market or organic eggs, beaten
  • S & P to taste
  • I used 1/2 c organic cheddar shredded and 5 slices cooked & crumbled organic turkey bacon
Whisk together all ingredients thoroughly and then pour into crust.
Bake at 375 for 30 – 40 minutes or until filling is set.

Other options for filling: 
  • diced tomatoes with goat cheese
  • spinach and cheese
  • ham or turkey & cheese 
Options are endless!  Pick your and the kids' favorites and make it half & half like so:

SUPER EASY and kid friendly!  The best part is it's easy to prep this earlier in the day or week, cover it in the pan and stick it in the fridge until dinner time. 


No comments:

Post a Comment