Monday, August 13, 2012

How to Cook & Shop Healthy/Organic on a Budget


It is a common misconception that you can't cook healthy/organic when you're on a budget.  In reality, we spend, as a family, the same amount now with 4 kids (mostly organic) as we did when we only had 2 kids and had boxed meals and junk food.  So, here are some tips for shopping on a budget!

My take on coupons
I could probably save a little more if I went through the trouble of getting the Sunday paper and clipping coupons, but I have found that 90% (if not more) of the coupons out there are for junk food, candy, and the sugary cereals.  I feel like my time is worth something.  So, am I going to spend a day hunting for coupons, buying all the local newspapers, etc just to save a couple dollars at the store?  NO!  My time is worth way more than that.  I do look through the Red Plum deal I get in the mail and I don't think I've ever seen a coupon for healthy foods.  And, to top that off, I believe that coupons can be negative in a way.  Sometimes, you see a coupon and buy that item just because you save 25 cents, when you would have never bought it in the first place.  In some ways, we spend more money with coupons than without.  You just have to be smart about it.  If you do find coupons, ONLY use the coupons for foods you would NORMALLY buy.


I search deliberately for certain coupons directly from the manufacturer.  Have a favorite organic brand?  Go to that manufacturer's website and search for coupons.  Here are a couple I have used:
This is just a handful, but there are tons of options here.  Just search online for the manufacturer's website and they all have a "coupon" or "savings" tab.

Another thing to keep in mind.  Whole Foods may have a coupon for 50 cents off Organic Valley Half & Half (for example), but without the coupon it's still cheaper at Target.  So, knowing your store prices will also help when you find coupons, to know if it's actually a good deal.

So what I will do is make up my shopping list when it's time to go grocery shopping again and if I need a couple pounds of beef, I'll print some beef coupons.  If I know I need some cheese or milk, I'll print those.  I am very intentional about which coupons I use.  And I do not waste a lot of time on this.  It's not worth it to me.

Buy In Season
One way to get your produce a little cheaper is to buy when that item is in season.  Ever noticed how expensive pineapples are when they're not in season?  You will usually spend $1 more per pineapple.  Here is a chart you can print out that shows when fruits and veggies are in season.  In addition to saving money, your produce will be fresher and taste a lot better if you buy in season.  BONUS!!!  I printed this and put it up on my fridge and also took a picture of it on my phone so I can refer to it when I'm at the store.
Go to ewg.org for directions on how to download the app for your android or iphone.

Plan ahead before you go to the store
I used to go to Walmart when I needed groceries and I would spend $200 + on groceries and still not know exactly what to make for dinner.  I didn't go with a list or certain meals in mind.  Now, before I go to the store, I pull out my recipes, pick out 4 or 5 dinners plus a couple side dish recipes, and go over the lists to see what I don't have from the ingredient lists.  I look through my pantry, fridge, and freezer to see what I may have that I can use for some recipes.

For example, last week I had a bag of green beans, a zucchini, and some roasted chicken I needed to use up.  So, I picked some recipes that I could use these items with.

Then, I'll see what cereals or staples I might need for the house, such as milk, cheese and bread.  This cuts down on the need to go back to the store later that week.  Because I think it's proven that when you go back to the store with only 1 or 2 things, you always end up buying more than you intend.  Or is it just me that does this??

So, look over your grocery list you've now made and see what coupons you can get to go along with it!



Don't Buy Everything on your Grocery List at Health Food Stores

This is very important. When I make up my grocery list, I already know how many stops I'm going to have to make and which items I am going to buy at each stop. I have been known to highlight items on my list in different colors, depending on which store I have to buy it from.








Walmart and Target sell lots of organic and healthy foods now! And each time I go to these stores they have new things they didn't have before. 

Many people make the mistake of getting all their groceries at Whole Foods or Akins. You can save so much if you get your staples and everything you possibly can at Walmart then getting the last couple things at Target, WF, or Akins. I made this mistake a while back. When I first started eating clean & organic, I made a trip to Akins for some snacks, cereals, and produce. I spent a ton of money and much to my disappointment, I found most of the foods at Walmart that I had bought at literally 40% less. I didn't make that mistake again! 
Here are the items I buy at Walmart at a discounted price:

  • Organic Milk and Half & Half
  • Organic Soymilk or almond milk




  • Cereal

If you're like us, you go through a lot of cereal. Kashi is ridiculously expensive (especially for our big cereal-loving family) and most of their cereals are loaded with sugar. I came across a brand at Walmart (it is not at Target), called Mom's Best Naturals. Yes, I have already talked about this brand on a post a while back.









  • Whole wheat pastas
  • Brown rice
  • Bags of dry beans
  • Some organic produce:  celery, carrots, romaine, spinach
  • Any produce I don't have to buy organic (see chart below)
  • All-natural PB (kind with ONLY peanuts and a touch of salt)
  • Clean whole wheat pitas (Joseph's)
  • Organic canned diced tomatoes/tomato sauce/tomato paste
  • Some organic soups (watch the sodium!)
  • Baking goods (vanilla extract, sugar in the raw, stevia, whole wheat flour, honey, agave & raw organic maple syrup)
If you compare prices, you will see that these SAME items at Whole Foods (or other health food store) are A LOT more money!  

Buying Organic/Conventional Produce
Much of the produce we buy has tons of pesticides and chemicals loaded into them. But buying all organic produce will be VERY expensive! Here is a chart of the "clean 15", the produce you can just buy conventionally: at Walmart, or whoever has the cheapest prices. And, of the top 12 "dirtiest" produce, the ones that you should buy organic, if possible.


Feel free to print this chart, put it up on your fridge, or take it with you to the store for reference.

Shop in-store sale items (carefully)

Once again, this comes with a disclaimer just like using coupons. If you see a sale on something, it doesn't mean you automatically need to buy it just because it's "on sale"! If you wouldn't normally buy it, who cares if it's on sale!

However, for items you would normally buy or know you can use for some recipes, go for it!

I signed up for Whole Foods newsletter and get their sales flyer every week and any one-day sales they may have. This Friday, February 18th, they are having a one-day sale on whole chickens, for $1.69 per lb.
This is a case where that is something I could use and it is a deal!  Roast up a whole chicken and I could have some many meal options!  Dinner, soups, chicken sandwiches, etc.  So, y'all better not beat me there, because I'm totally in on that deal!  There's a 10 bird limit though, ha!

Buying in Bulk

I recently wrote a blog on Sam's or other similar clubs, How Busy Mama Rolls at Sam's.  You can spend a lot of money buying in bulk, and for some things, it's worth it.
  • Check out the "clean 15" produce list and buy any of these you may need, in bulk
  • Olive oil
  • Sea Salt and Fresh cracked pepper
  • Seasonings & spices
  • Honey
  • Baking goods, such as vanilla extract
  • Tea
  • Bulk Cheerios and/or Kix
  • Whole wheat pastas
Yes, it will be a lot of money to spend on one shopping trip.  But, I usually only go to Sam's once a month or once ever couple months to replenish.  So, it's worth it to me.

Whole Foods Bulk Section
Also, Whole Foods has a big bulk section in the back too.  Tons of legumes, beans, lentils, rice, granola, etc.  Go with a plan of what you need and how much.  This section can be pretty overwhelming.  I usually buy organic brown rice, flour, raw nuts/seeds (for trail mix or granola), dry beans, unsweetened dried fruit, and fresh ground almond and peanut butter.  Again, take it easy.  Have your list and make sure to weigh it!  And compare prices on nuts.  Cashews cost a lot more than almonds (typically), so if you can substitute for a cheaper nut/seed, do it!

Make your own snacks
I used to spend a TON of money on snacks for the house.  We could easily go through a box of ritz crackers or bag of chips in 1-2 days.   At first, I went to Akins or Target and bought the organic, healthy snacks (such as Annie's organic bunny snacks).  So, I felt pretty good about it.  My kids were eating healthier snacks!  But, when we went through a box in 2 days, my pocketbook was not to happy!  I couldn't continue to buy the healthy "junk food" as they call it.  Plus, when I started pulling out my fooducate app on my phone and reading ingredient lists, these so-called "healthy" snacks were really not all that healthy.  So, now I make most of my own snacks for the house or have healthier options for the kids.

1.  Homemade whole wheat crackers- recipe is on my blog about healthy snack options

2.  Peanut Butter Balls - recipe also found on healthy snack options blog
3.  Hummus - recipe also on healthy snack options blog
4.  Salsa - so good and low-cal!  Make your own or buy in the store.  Just try to find one with real ingredients, no sugar added.
5.  My famous tortilla chips
 1 whole wheat or brown rice tortilla, cut in pieces
  • Set the oven to broil
  • Tear up semi-defrosted tortillas into small-ish pieces, place on cookie sheet.
  • Spray olive oil no-stick spray on top.
  • Sprinkle lightly with sea salt and fresh cracked pepper
  • Stick in the oven for 2-3 minutes and watch VERY closely.  These can burn in seconds flat. Mine were fully cooked, borderline burnt (just how I like them) in 2 minutes and 40 seconds. 
6.  Protein Bars
 
Have a box full of Luna or Cliff Bars in your pantry?  Well, eat them up and then make my protein bar recipe!  They are AWESOME, with no chemicals, preservatives, or processed crap!  My recipe is found on this blog.

7.  Homemade Lara Bars - recipe found here on 100 days of real food.  A box of 4 Lara bars costs about $6!  These are much cheaper and SO EASY to make!! Only a couple ingredients!

8.  Have fresh fruit and veggies with organic ranch dressing, hummus, or organic pb/almond butter

9.  Granola - recipe found here near the bottom of my blog on recipe catch up

10.  Trail mix - recipe found here but options are endless


Well, that's my tips and opinions on how to buy healthy/organic on a budget.  Hope this helps shed some light on the topic.  You can be frugal and cook healthy for your family!  Thanks for reading!!

No comments:

Post a Comment