Friday, March 9, 2012

Family Tennis Night, Leftover Taco Dinner Remix, and Healthy Soccer Game Snacks

So tonight, we decided to meet another family out at the tennis courts for a family tennis match.  We enjoy tennis when the weather is nice.  It is a great workout and there is usually several courts right next to each other so the kids can play their own "game".


That's Curt & Juliana on the far side of the court (our old neighbors & friends), Addy on the right, Taylor in the middle (their daughter), and Mike there on the right.  We didn't really play an official game since all the kids were running around.  Sophia & Chris were just chasing the balls the and Chris kept picking up the balls and walking around saying "ball!" the whole time.  Here is a pic of Mike trying to show Elijah how to hold the tennis racket.
 Babies on the court!
 Elijah really wanted to play, poor guy, but it's super hard for a 4 year old. 
So, in typical Reimer/David fashion, you know we had to come up with some race (we're all pretty competitive).  We decided to have a relay race around the tennis courts.  First, it was boys vs girls.  And guess what?  Girls won.  Here is a pic of Addy & Carson racing near the finish line
And Addy getting ready to race Abram (another family friend's kiddo)
Let me tell you, I consider myself a runner, but sprinting around the tennis courts wore me out!  We got a great workout and had so much fun being active with the kids!  Oh and Sophia wanted to get in on the action, so here is a pic of Carson running a "race" with her.


So let's back up to what was for dinner.  As you may remember, last night was AMAZING chickpea tacos for dinner, see yesterday's blog here with the recipe.  So in typical busy mama fashion you know I had to do the leftovers.  It was a busy Friday, with soccer practice and we had plans to meet another family out at the tennis courts for a match!  I had a lot of taco shells still left over, some Amy's organic refried beans, some lettuce, cherry tomatoes, and organic cheddar.  I had the chickpea avocado mixture for lunch over some organic romaine lettuce, so there was none of that left over.  You know I like to get creative with the leftovers so that it doesn't get repetitive. 
  • For the babies, I put a couple brown rice tortillas in the (new) counter oven with some avocado spread over it and sprinkled some organic cheddar on top.  They LOVED it, gobbled it right up.  And I served theirs with a heaping side of cantaloupe!
  • For me, I put some of the Amy's refried beans on top of a brown rice tortilla, with 2 handfuls of organic baby spinach, and 5 cherry tomatoes (sliced); cooked in the counter oven at 400 degrees for 10 minutes.
 (And yes, it was as good as it looks!)
  • For Addy, I made her a couple tacos with some lettuce & cheese (yes, that's all she wanted) and she wanted hers served with a side of sunflower kernels (roasted & unsalted) and an organic granny smith apple
  • And for Mike, I made him up 2 tacos with some Amy's refried beans, baby spinach, avocado, 4 cherry tomatoes (sliced), and some organic shredded cheddar on top!  He was still a little hungry, so I got him a side of my homemade hummus (I just put together today) and a whole wheat pita for dipping purposes.  
 Tomorrow is my day to bring snacks to Elijah's soccer game.  The usual snacks after the game are  loaded with sugar, preservatives, and chemicals, not to mention the juice boxes!  SO, I decided to make a more healthy snack for them.  My son's team name is the "cookie monsters", so you know I had to make cookies.  And I have a tried and true cookie recipe, as you probably know by now, with no butter or sugar added! 

I bought some clear baggies at Target, made my cookies and put 3 in each bag.  I tied them up with white, silver, and black ribbons for cuteness factor:
I bought 2 boxes of Honest Kids juice boxes (available at Target or any health food store)
And voila!  Healthy soccer snacks! 

Well, speaking of soccer, we have an 8 AM game tomorrow morning.  Have a great night, thanks for reading!!

No comments:

Post a Comment