Sunday, March 11, 2012

Soccer Saturday, New Kids' Gear, and Yummy Mozzarella Pesto Panini Recipe!

Well yesterday was a crazy day! I was at the soccer fields twice, for Addy & Eli's games. While they were playing, I realized that I have kind of slacked on working with them on soccer skills. I can't expect their coaches to teach them everything they need to know to excel at the game in 1 or 2 practices a week. And, if we're going to take this sport more seriously, I really need to get after it and help them to learn some more soccer skills. Our neighbor (whose kids are also in Metro Tulsa Soccer Club), was telling me that there is a complimentary soccer skills training class every Tuesday night starting at 5:30 pm to any MTSC players.  Here is the link to the info on that.
So, I'm going to think about taking them to that next week! Since the weather is nice, there is no excuse for me not to be at the park with them practicing too!



Here is a pic of Addy & Eli stretching before they practiced at the park across the street after a full day of soccer Saturday:


We practiced toe touches, pull backs, and kicking with purpose. We were out there for about an hour and then came home and Addy worked with Elijah one-on-one in the backyard for about another hour!

Since both of their soccer balls were done and needed to be replaced, I trekked on over to the new Dick's Sporting Goods yesterday to look for some new gear. I found 3 Nike soccer balls (including a small one for Sophie or Chris), a huge mesh bag (to load up a bunch of balls when we're going to the park), and a super cute blue Nike backpack (for carrying soccer gear to & from games).

So needless to say, I feel more official now! And we are going to start practicing more often so that they can improve. Elijah is 4 and still mostly chases the other players around. He doesn't quite get the concept of getting the ball away from the other team and scoring a goal. He enjoys just playing around with the other players more than anything....

Today it was also time to get the big kids some new shoes too! Addy & Eli both got new shoes at the beginning of the school year but this is how their shoes look now:



They pretty much wear the same shoes everyday, so yes they are worn out!
Our first stop was Stride Rite. We thought initially baby Chris needed some new shoes, but after getting his feet measured, he still has about another month in his current shoes. Eli found a pair of Spider Man light up tennis shoes and he cried when he had to take them off, but I thought they looked too young for him.

I really had my heart set on getting him some cute Nike's or something.
Next stop was Finish Line, since it was right down the way from Stride Rite in the mall. The big kids both tried on some Nikes and they liked them a lot but Eli's would have been $54 and Addy's $75 plus tax of course. We just weren't ready to spend that kind of money!
Last, we went to Shoe Carnival. I have actually never stepped foot in that store. I'm not one for gimmicks and I always thought it was super cheesy. But, Mike promised they'd have the name brand shoes cheaper than other places. So, after trying on like every shoe in the store, we finally decided on a pair of New Balance tennis shoes ($34) for Addy & Nike Fusion's ($40) for Elijah.


Not too shabby! And if I know my kids, they will definitely get our money's worth out of it!

We got home from all of our shopping at about 5:30 and I had to whip up a quick dinner, so one of the meals on the list this week was a mozzarella pesto panini. I looked over the directions and it looked super quick & easy, so I opted for that. Here are some pics & the recipe:

Mozzarella Pesto Panini (adapted from eMeals)


Olive oil
3 c diced tomatoes
3 T capers
1 T balsamic vinegar
sea salt
pepper
12 slices whole wheat bread
6 oz jar pesto
12 oz thinly sliced organic mozzarella

In a large skillet, heat 1 T olive oil over med-high heat. Add tomatoes & capers, cook 3 min.
Remove from heat & stir in vinegar, salt & pepper. Spray 1 side of bread with non-stick olive oil, spread pesto on the other side. Arrange tomato mixture & mozzarella on one half of bread. Top with remaining bread slices.
Grill sandwiches until cheese is melted.


I served this with my own pita chips (whole wheat pitas torn up in pieces, sprinkled with sea salt & pepper, and broiled in oven 2 & 1/2 minutes) and a side of pineapples.

This was a super easy and light dinner! Or would be great for lunch.

Thanks for reading!!

No comments:

Post a Comment