Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Fit Mama 7 Mile Long Run, Skinny Chicks Eat Real Food, and 8 y.o. Lunchbox!

So this morning was my 7 mile run, as scheduled for my half-marathon training.  It went really well!  It was 63 degrees, overcast, with 20 MPH winds.  The winds did suck when I was coming to the end of my run, which was uphill and I was running directly into the wind.  But, for the most part, was not an issue.  I finished in 1 hour 10 minutes, which is not quite the pace I was hoping for.  But, felt great when I got home.  I didn't feel like I over-exerted myself.  Just a nice casual pace. 

After I got home from my run, I of course took a few moments to stretch.  And my 2 y.o. decided to join me:


Of course to chase my run, I decided on a green monster smoothie!
Find the green monster recipe on this blog, or on my facebook page, under photos "food & snacks".  It was the perfect recovery drink and breakfast all in one! 

Today, I picked up the book Skinny Chicks Eat Real Food at the library.

If you've noticed, I like to check books out of the library.  It gives me the chance to read lots of books for free!  And then I can decide if there's one I really want to buy. 

Anyway, I am only on chapter 2, but it is very interesting.   Processed foods: sugar, salt, and fat is addictive.  They are like drugs.  You can't have just one cookie, you just crave more.  When you go cold turkey and start cutting out refined sugar, salt, and fats, you find that you have normal sensations of hunger and a feeling of being full.  I never really knew what it was to be "full" when I was eating all the processed foods.  It is such a great feeling to be satisfied and not feel like you're going to explode because you ate way too much. 

She talks about adopting a real food diet.  I really hate the term "diet" because it seems temporary or like you are having to make a huge sacrifice.  The real food diet says that you don't avoid any major food group all together: fats, carbs, protein, etc are all on the table still.  BUT, you are to avoid processed foods (fake foods), those with refined sugars, fats, and salt.  I'll keep you posted on any insights as I get further into the book.

So, I'm seriously considering becoming a certified nutritionist.  I am completely obsessed with nutrition and I really want to help people adopt a healthier way of life.  I am still doing research on how to get certified or licensed as a nutritionist or dietician.  It is pretty confusing, just based on what I've seen online, so I think I am going to call the State of Oklahoma and find out what our laws are on being able to practice nutrition in the state.
  I will keep you all posted on what I find out. 

So after a WONDERFUL church service tonight for Lent, I put together Addy's lunchbox for school tomorrow.  She has been eating peanut butter & honey sandwich (no salt or sugar added organic PB, raw honey, and 100% whole wheat bread) for like 6 months for lunch.  She is a creature of habit and likes the same thing every day.  I have asked her often if she wants something different and the answer is always "no"!  But finally she decided to go with turkey and cheese pita!

I got the Applegate deli turkey from Whole Foods (nitrite & nitrate free) and grated some organic cheddar cheese.  The pitas are the clean ones I found at Wal-Mart deli:

Plus, of course an organic granny smith apple and an honest kids juice box.  For her snack, I send her with my homemade protein bar or a homemade muffin (such as the blueberry muffins I made the other day).  She has not eaten the school lunch at all this year.  Have you ever been to your kiddos' school when they are serving lunch?  Were you disgusted like me?  When I have brought Addy lunch at school and I look around at the other students' trays, I see lots of fries, corn dogs, cookies, and other fried, processed foods.  They do have an available salad you can put on your tray, but it's completely optional.  Then, you have a choice of chocolate, strawberry, or vanilla milk!  Seriously???  When I decided to adopt clean eating this fall, I made a promise to myself that I would ALWAYS have a lunchbox for my kids (or bring them lunch to school) and not make them eat the school lunch.  Addy never had a problem with this.  She has thoroughly enjoyed the lunches I make for her and doesn't complain at all that she doesn't get to eat the school lunches.  I am hoping Eljiah will be the same when he starts kindergarten next year!



Well thanks for reading, have a wonderful evening!!

No comments:

Post a Comment