Monday, March 5, 2012

Week 2 Vegetarian Menu, Half-Marathon Training, & AWESOME Blueberry Muffin & Veggie Lasagna Recipes!!

Well it's that time again for my weekly shopping!  Last Tuesday I spent $165 and I bought enough food for 5 meals and it lasted me 7 days.  Here is what my shopping list looks like this week:
The items highlighted are ones I can't get at Walmart & have to go to a different grocery store, such as Whole Foods.  Meals upcoming this week include:
  • Baked Ziti with organic mixed salad
  • Slow Cooker vegetarian chili with homemade cornbread
  • Chickpea Tacos with Mexican rice and organic black refried beans
  • Caprese Panini with strawberries & pita chips
  • Spinach, Feta & Tomato Quiche
  • Spinach & Lentil Soup with homemade whole wheat artisan bread
So far, the vegetarian eating has gone really well!  Mike has still not complained (except for last night when we went out after a concert and the restaurant was having a $7 gourmet burger special). 


But overall, the kids and Mike have LOVED the food.  And trust me, no one is starving!  

Today I went over to Whole Foods to get the items I know I can't get at Walmart so that I wouldn't have to worry about it tomorrow.  It is impossible to make a trip to Walmart & Whole Foods in the same day because of their locations. 

I spent $100 and got:
  • 2 bags organic granny smith apples
  • 1 carton organic strawberries
  • Organic mixed salad greens
  • Organic green bell pepper
  • Organic light caesar dressing

  • Organic italian dressing

  • 15 cans assorted beans: chickpeas, navy beans, black beans, etc.

  • Organic corn taco shells

  • Carob chocolate chips (for my protein bars, cookies, peanut butter balls, etc.)

  • 1/2 lb organic nitrite free turkey breast (for sandwiches)

  • 1 pkg uncured nitrite free beef hot dogs

  • Organic low sodium chicken broth

  • 2- 8 oz organic mozzarella cheese blocks
  • 15 oz non rBGH part skim ricotta cheese

  • feta cheese crumbles - non rGBH
  • Organic Fillo Dough
  • Honest Kids organic juice boxes
Tomorrow I have about another $80-$100 to spend at Walmart, making this week's total $200 or less for groceries.    And this should last us until we leave for vacation next Friday. 

Today was the start of week 2 of my half-marathon training and it has been going GREAT.  I logged in 15 miles total last week!

The weather has been SO mild.  It was sunny and 40 degrees this morning when I went for a run.  On the schedule again for today was 3 miles.  I have been working really hard at increasing my speed on my 3 mile runs.  I'm down to a little over a 10 minute mile.  My long runs are scheduled on Wednesdays since that is my husband's day off and I have 7 miles coming up this Wednesday. 

So this weekend, I realized that my 8 y.o. has NO active wear for soccer practice and other sports.  She has been wearing her school skorts to practice.  So, I went to Target and found some super cute stuff for a great price!

 The running skorts were $12.99 and the mesh shorts are reversible and $9.99.  Plus, I picked her up some active socks 3 pk for $5.99.  She tried out the shorts tonight at practice and she said they were VERY comfortable.  She stays very hot and she said they kept her cool.  She is very picky about materials and the fit of clothes and if she approves, then that is a huge deal.  I highly recommend going to Target if you're looking for active wear for your kiddos.  They have a huge selection, good quality, and great prices. 

Speaking of Addy, my 8 y.o., she mentioned to me on the way to her soccer game Saturday that now that we eat healthy (meaning clean eating), she can run a lot faster.  Even her coach told her that he has seen a HUGE improvement since last season!  AND, she scored a goal at her first game this season.  This was a big motivation for me.  When my kids are healthy, it means that all this hard work is worth it! 

I did some baking today!!  I ran out of my cinnamon chocolate chip protein bars, so I made another batch. 

BTW, if you are still buying protein bars at the store, STOP IT!!!  These are AMAZING and so easy to make.  Have you read the ingredient list on the box of protein bars?  Tons of chemicals and preservatives.  And these seriously taste better than any store bought ones I've had.  Find the protein bar recipe here

And, I wanted to make a recipe I found on the blog Oh She Glows for whole wheat blueberry muffins.  I had 1 & 1/2 c fresh organic blueberries leftover from what I bought at Whole Foods and I needed to use them up.  They are AMAZING!!!!  My kids and my husband approve too!  Here is the recipe:

Whole Wheat Blueberry Muffins


Ingredients:
  • 1 cup non-dairy milk (I used organic light soy milk)
  • 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
  • 1/4 cup ground flax seed
  • 1 and 3/4 cups whole wheat pastry flour (OR 1 cup whole wheat + 3/4 cup all-purpose flour)
  • 1 & 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp kosher salt
  • 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil (or vegetable)
  • 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
  • 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1/2 tsp pure almond extract (optional, but awesome)
  • 1 & 1/2 cup fresh + sweet blueberries (frozen blueberries seem to make the muffins too moist)
  • Cinnamon Streusel topping: 2 tbsp + 2 tsp Sugar In the Raw, 1 tsp cinnamon, 2 tsp Earth Balance, 2 tsp flour, pinch salt.

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 375F and line a muffin tin with liners.  In a small bowl, mix together the non-dairy milk and apple cider vinegar and set aside.
2. In a medium size bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients (ground flax, flour, baking soda, cinnamon, salt). In a small bowl, mix together the wet ingredients (oil, syrup, extracts) and add the wet to the dry and stir until just combined.
3. Stir in the fresh or frozen blueberries until just combined. Spoon into paper liners. I filled the liners to the top in my mini muffin tins and I still had a bit of batter leftover. Make cinnamon streusel topping and sprinkle over top of batter.
4. Bake in the oven at 375F for about 15-20 minutes, until golden and the top of the muffin slowly springs back when pressed. Cool for at least 15 minutes before serving as the blueberries will be super hot!

These would be great for breakfast or for a sweet treat after dinner!  I'm planning on packing one for my daughter's snack at school some days!

Dinner was a dish I made once already, Veggie Lasagna.  It was SO GOOD.  My husband was raving about how good it was.  Here is the recipe again:

Slow Cooker Veggie Lasagna
1 large egg
1 15- to 16-ounce container part-skim ricotta
1 5-ounce package baby spinach, coarsely chopped
1 small zucchini, quartered lengthwise and thinly sliced
1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes (low sodium)
1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes (organic low sodium)
3 cloves garlic, minced
15 whole-wheat lasagna noodles (about 12 ounces), uncooked
3 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella, divide

  • Combine egg, ricotta, spinach, and zucchini in a large bowl.
  • Combine crushed and diced tomatoes and their juice, garlic in a medium bowl.
  • Generously coat a 6-quart or larger slow cooker with cooking spray. Spread 1 1/2 cups of the tomato mixture in the slow cooker. Arrange 5 noodles over the sauce, overlapping them slightly and breaking into pieces to cover as much of the sauce as possible. Spread half of the ricotta-vegetable mixture over the noodles and firmly pat down, then spoon on 1 1/2 cups sauce and sprinkle with 1 cup mozzarella. Repeat the layering one more time, starting with noodles. Top with a third layer of noodles. Evenly spread the remaining tomato sauce over the noodles. Set aside the remaining 1 cup mozzarella in the refrigerator.
  • Put the lid on the slow cooker and cook on High for 2 hours or on Low for 4 hours. Turn off the slow cooker, sprinkle the reserved mozzarella on the lasagna, cover and let stand for 10 minutes to melt the cheese.
I served this with a caesar salad (organic mixed salad greens, organic light caesar dressing, organic grated parmesan cheese)

and my homemade whole wheat artisan bread (with garlic salt and fresh cracked pepper on top).

Yummy!  AND there's tons left over for dinner tomorrow.  I put it in my handy glass tupperware so it's ready to stick in the oven tomorrow night. 


Thanks for reading!!

No comments:

Post a Comment