Saturday, February 25, 2012

Busy Mama Lunches, Other Food Prep, & Awesome Healthy Meatloaf recipe

Today was a very busy day!  Elijah had his first soccer practice this afternoon for the Spring season so I got a lot of meal and food prep done before and after. 

I made up a big batch of Mediterranean Salad, for quick lunches for me next week.  I am a very busy mama and many days I don't have time to make up a nice healthy lunch.  When I was trying to lose weight last Spring, that was one thing that sabotaged my goals all the time:  being too busy, not having time for a healthy lunch, and then when I would finally eat, I would be so starving that I would make bad choices or grab for the quick (unhealthy) snacks I had in the pantry. 

So, here is what I put together:


A huge Tupperware full to the brim with goodness!
Here is what went in there:
  • 1 can chickpeas (low sodium, rinsed and drained)
  • 1 english cucumber (chopped)
  • 3/4 of a red onion (chopped)
  • 15 grape tomatoes (chopped)
This took NO time, with the handy work of my food processor!! 
And when I'm ready to dish some out, I plan on either using my homemade goddess dressing, or some lemon juice with olive oil (the traditional Mediterranean "dressing"), and topping with some chia seeds and sunflower kernels (roasted, unsalted).  There should be enough for about 4 servings, just depending on how hungry I am!!

Since the kiddos were preoccupied outside playing in the backyard after they ate lunch, I had a chance to make up an awesome lunch for myself today! 
This is my hummus pizza 2.0! 
  • brown rice tortilla or whole wheat tortilla
  • Homemade hummus (or store bought with no added chemicals)
  • 2 Handfuls baby spinach
  • 1/2 c black beans (low sodium)
  • 6 grape tomatoes (sliced)
  • 1 tsp chia seeds
  • 2 T greek plain non fat yogurt
  • and a sprinkle of sunflower kernels on top!  
350 degrees for 10 minutes and..
Boo-ya!  Pure awesomeness.  I might add that I put the greek yogurt and sunflower kernels on after I baked it.  I wouldn't bake the greek yogurt, that would be gross. 

Actually, as I was savoring this, I was remembering back in the olden days when I would eat frozen lean cuisine meals every day for lunch (for calorie control).  I never enjoyed them and I was still hungry when I finished them.  This pizza made me SO happy and it was really healthy and satisfying!  I was STUFFED.  I never thought it would be possible to be satisfied and have a healthy meal that I actually enjoyed! 

In addition to prepping my salad for the week and making my pizza, I made up another batch of hummus.  Hummus is a very healthy snack! 
AND it is SO easy to make!  You can find my hummus recipe here.  It is basically just a can of chickpeas, some lemon juice, tahini, little bit of salt, and garlic!  A great base recipe you can spice up however you like.  One time I made a roasted red pepper version.  I love to dip fresh veggies in it, such as cucumbers, carrots, and broccoli!

So tonight for dinner was one of my eMeals recipes: Tomato & Cheese Meatloaf with mashed potatoes and roasted green beans.  It turned out really good and the kids loved it.  Here are the recipes, along with some pics:

Tomato & Cheese Meatloaf


2 slices whole wheat bread, torn into pieces
4 T organic light soy milk
1 lb ground organic grass-fed beef
3⁄4 c of my homemade spaghetti/pizza sauce (SUPER EASY recipe found here)
1⁄2 c shredded organic Parmesan 
1 organic cage free egg-lightly beaten 
 3⁄4 t garlic salt 
 1⁄2 t oregano 

 
In a lg bowl, combine bread and milk; let stand 5 min. Add beef, 1⁄4 c pasta sauce, cheese, egg, garlic salt and oregano. 

Form mixture into 8” loaf. Place on a rimmed baking sheet and bake 45 min at 350° F. 

Spread with remaining pasta sauce and bake for 15 min. Let stand 10 min before slicing. 

Smashed Potatoes
 
21⁄2 lbs red potatoes
1⁄4 c low fat buttermilk 

3 T butter (I used Earth Balance soy butter spread)
1 T minced tarragon
1 t salt




Boil potatoes until tender.
Mine took about 30 minutes.
Mash potatoes with buttermilk, butter, tarragon and salt. 
 Oh and you know I can't just make normal microwave or steamed green beans now that I have my AWESOME roasted green beans recipe!  
12 oz green beans 
2 t olive oil
Sea Salt & fresh cracked pepper

Drizzle GB with olive oil, sprinkle with salt & peppa, toss to coat.  Cook at 400 degrees for 10 min, put on parmesan, roast for another 5-10 min until desired.  I like mine slightly burnt.  

So, here was the whole meal:
It was very good!  I put all the leftover meatloaf in a glass container with a lid, ready to stick in the oven tomorrow evening for dinner!
Every fit n busy mama must be thinking one day ahead, at least!  My brain is already thinking about next week.  I have my big grocery shopping day on Tuesday where I collect my groceries for the next 5-7 meals.  We have soccer practice Monday, Thursday, and Friday evenings so I am thinking I'm going to be utilizing my crock pot a bunch!  

Well thanks for reading!!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment