Sunday, February 19, 2012

Fit n Busy Family Bike Ride Disaster and AMAZING healthy dinner recipe!

So after lunch today, the weather in Tulsa was 55 degrees and sunny.  We decided that it would be a GREAT day for a family bike ride!



 Since we have 2 babies and a 4 y.o. that can't ride his bike for an extended amount of time, we have certain gear we have purchased so that we can all go together.  We have a Schwinn baby trailer:


And a bike attachment (Giant Half Wheeler) for our 4 y.o. to ride along with dad.


This is us looking very happy just before our bike ride.

We decided to go down to the Creek Trail, which we can access from the neighborhood across the street from us.  We got on the Creek Trail and went east all the way down to Garnett and decided it was time to turn around.  The babies were pretty fussy the whole time.  I'm not really sure why.  I had bottles with water for them and made sure they were plenty warm, but not too warm.  When we turned around to head west back home, they both started in on the crying and would not let up.  They were literally wailing until we decided to stop halfway between Mingo and Memorial (about 2 miles from the house) and let them out to stretch their legs.
Here we are chillaxing for a few minutes before we decided to head home.  All of a sudden, we hear "shhhhhhhhh" and we realized it was my rear tire.  It went completely flat in a matter of seconds.  And we were still 2 miles from home!  Oh and I might mention that Sophia and Chris were having a complete and utter meltdown, full-on screaming, kicking, and such.  They were both way beyond nap time...

We decided that the best thing to do was to walk back to Mingo (1/2 mile) and have my mom pick up the broken down bike and the babies.  So, we get the babies buckled back in the trailer (which they were NOT happy) and I walked/ran my bike back to Mingo and halfway up Mingo to her neighborhood, through the grass and hills with the babies screaming their lungs out the whole way.

Here we are being rescued by grandma...  After we got the babies in there with the bike, we still had to get home so Mike jimmy-rigged the trailer onto the back of the 3rd wheel and I ran home (the last mile).  Oh and I forgot to mention that our 8 y.o. was complaining the whole way home and was in a bad mood because she is getting too big for her bike and wants a new one...

I had such a headache and was so stressed by the time we got home from our bike ride but I had to start dinner by then!  For dinner tonight was bacon-wrapped pork tenderloin with sauteed honey mustard kale and wild rice.  The babies were still not letting up on their whining and crying.  I made the executive decision to not lay them down for nap since it was 5:30 now and I would rather lay them down for early bed time.  So, the whole time I was cooking, they were whining and clinging to my leg crying.

Either way, dinner turned out AMAZING.  Mike said it was one of the BEST dinners he's ever had!  And the kids all ate really good!

Here are some pics with the recipe:

Bacon Wrapped Pork Tenderloin 

1 lb pork tenderloin, cut crosswise into 3 pieces 1 T olive oil
1⁄2 t salt, 1⁄2 t dried thyme
3 slices organic bacon 


Rub pork with oil; sprinkle with salt and thyme. Wrap each piece with one slice bacon and secure with a toothpick. Place in a baking dish. 

Bake at 450° F for 12 min, turning occasionally, until pork registers 145° F. Let stand 5 min before slicing. 
 ***Above was exactly what the recipe read, but I might add that I was checking the temp with my meat thermometer and I cooked 2 of the 3 pieces of pork for about 30 minutes and 1 of them was about 22 minutes.  So, I recommend just using your meat thermometer and putting the meat back in for 5 minutes at a time until it's cooked to an internal temp of 145 degrees***
Honey Mustard Sauteed Kale
 
1 T olive oil
1 lb kale, stems trimmed, cut in 1” pieces
1⁄2 t salt 
3 T honey mustard  (I made my own, just by mixing raw honey with yellow mustard)
1 T water


Heat oil over med-high in a lg skillet. Add kale

 Cook 3 min. Stir in salt. Combine honey mustard and water. Toss with greens.

Long Grain Rice
2 - 6 oz boxes long grain and wild rice, cooked 

Cook rice according to package directions 

So here's how it turned out!
 And the kids LOVED it too!

Even my pickiest eater, my 4 y.o. had 2 helpings of pork and rice!  But you know I didn't do the meat (even though it did look delish and juicy), so here was my plate:

Kale mixed with wild rice.  It was definitely the only saving grace to the extremely hectic and stressful afternoon/evening.  So after dinner, I cleaned the kitchen like a mad woman and my husband took the fussy babies upstairs for a bath.  We got them both in bed by 7:30 and finally I'm sitting down...  

We are completely exhausted and we have all the kiddos in bed now so Mike and I are going to relax with a redbox movie.  Thank you for reading, and I hope you all had a wonderful weekend!!

No comments:

Post a Comment