Thursday, February 16, 2012

Fit n Healthy Kids

One of the hardest things about becoming healthy has been my kids' attitude toward food and nutrition.  If you read my weight loss journey blog, you know that I have tried for a long time to eat healthy but that never translated to my kids.  I was always at a loss for what to make for me and the kids that would be healthy and they would actually enjoy.  So, just to save the complaining, I would make myself dinner then make theirs separate:  mac n cheese, frozen nuggets, french fries, corn dogs, pizza, etc. 


In the same manner, I worked out like crazy yet I never involved them nor did I encourage them to be active.  I guess, for me, it was more about a selfish desire to be "skinny", not for whole family health. 

My heart changed when my 8 y.o. came home off the bus one day and said someone on the bus was making fun of her and called her "fat".  My heart sank into my chest.  She was not fat!  But it really opened my eyes.  I didn't want her to struggle with weight like I did.  I didn't know anything about eating healthy when I was young or the benefits of eating fresh fruits and veggies.  All I wanted was fast food, pizza, & ice cream!  BUT, I am an adult now.  I know the benefits of eating healthy.  There is no reason or excuse why I can't feed my kids healthy, nutritious foods. 

Here are some tips and things I have done to change my kids' attitudes toward food and fitness:
1.  Let them help you at the grocery store.  This comes with a disclaimer.  Kids can be your worst enemy if you take them to the grocery store.  If they've been good and you make it to that check out, it is nearly impossible to resist the snacks and candy that is so conveniently placed at their little eye level. 
Here's some ways they can help:
  • Give them your list (if they're old enough to read) and let them help you by marking out items.
  • Let them help you find the item on the shelf
  • Let them help you find the best-looking fruits & veggies

2.  Explain to them the difference between healthy and unhealthy foods. 
When I first started cooking clean & organic for my family, I cut out all the sugary cereals & snacks. Here is how I explained to them why I was doing what I was doing:
  • Listed off healthy foods, such as fruits and vegetables, lean meats, and whole wheat breads and rice.
  • While walking through the grocery store, I would ask my son about certain food items and had him guess if it was healthy or unhealthy.
  • When we came across an unhealthy item, I explained to them why it was unhealthy.  Instead of just saying "it's bad for you", I told them that it had a lot of sugar and chemicals
  • Explained the effects that unhealthy foods have on their bodies.  For my 8 y.o, I reminded her about times she had a tummy ache or was really tired because she had eaten food that was unhealthy.  If she eats healthy, she will feel better.  My 4 y.o. likes to know that the healthy food he eats will help him grow big & strong.  Unhealthy foods will make him feel sick.
3.  Let them help you cook

My kids love to help by pouring ingredients in a mixing bowl, or using the rolling pin, or stirring the mix.  Getting them involved gives them buy-in with what you're cooking.  I remember the first time I had Addy help me with dinner.  It was a dinner I knew she was going to gripe about.  But, since she helped me cook it, she knew what was in it and was excited to try "her" creation!  
4.  Let your kiddos try out different sports

I signed my kids up for soccer last year for the first time and they LOVE it.  Most of all, I love that they are getting outside in the fresh air with some kids their age and having a good time.  They practice at least once a week and then games are on Saturdays.  Their Spring season actually starts up with practices next week! 
My daughter has also shown some interest in cheer leading so she may do that next fall.

5.  Get active with your kids
This is us before we walked across the street to the park.  If the weather is nice, I get the bikes out, scooters, etc and we take a walk around the neighborhood.  Conveniently, we have a great park right across the street from our neighborhood.  Sometimes, I get the soccer balls out and we go practice kicking the ball around. 
6.  Encourage less TV time, more outside time

Set a rule of how much TV time the kids are allowed each day.  When the weather is bad, this becomes tricky.  But, if the weather is nice, TV is off!
7.  Give them choices on their plate.
I like to give my kiddos lots of choices when it's time to sit down to dinner.  Sometimes, I've got a veggie, carb side, such as bread or rice, fruit, and the "main dish".  Kids like variety and they like to make their own choices.  I let them decide what to drink: water or milk, what kind of topping they want on their bread, and what fruit side they want. 
8.  Don't waiver if they don't want to eat the dinner you made.  This is one battle I do pick.  If I make dinner for the family and one of my kiddos decides they don't like it or don't want it, I refuse to make a different dinner for them.  If I get into that habit, pretty soon I will be back to making separate dinners for everyone in the family.  If they try their dinner and they really don't like it, I encourage them to eat more of the veggie or fruit side and the rice or bread.  So that way, they still get their nutrients. 

I hope this helps.  I am still learning about new ways to get my kids involved with fitness and food.  I do believe that it is really important that kids know the difference between healthy and unhealthy foods and the importance of being active.  Thanks for reading!!

No comments:

Post a Comment