Friday, February 3, 2012

Chris Goes for EEG and Some Great Grocery Store Finds!

Well today was a crazy day!  I had so much on my plate today.  My 4 y.o. needed a hair cut desperately so I took him this morning after we got up and around.  Kuts 4 Kids by Will is the best ever in Tulsa!!! 




After the hair cut, I only had about an hour before I had to take him to school so I decided to stop by Reasor's to pick up some new creamer I've been meaning to try and to grab some lunch for me and the kiddos.  I have been in Oklahoma for 15 years and I just now discovered Reasor's!  They have an awesome Deli with lots of yummy foods, a huge salad bar with tons of fresh veggies and fruits, and an enormous olive bar!  I'm not sure if all Reasor's are like this, but I went to the new one in Jenks.  So, I got the kiddos some chicken, with veggies and fruit and I got a salad for myself!  I think I put a little bit of everything on there...


With some balsamic vinaigrette dressing.  It was really good!  It was $5.49 per lb on the salad bar and I cashed out right at 1 lb, including some fruits and veggies for the kiddos.  I highly recommend it if you're looking for a quick healthy lunch in that area.  Now keep in mind, there are also some bad choices in the deli and even on the salad bar:  lots of breads, pasta salads, cheeses, and creamy dressings.  But I just skipped all those and went for the beans, veggies, hummus, and fruits.

So after lunch, we came home to put up our left overs then it was off to drop Eli off and go to Walmart, Akins, ans Target.  Yes, it was that time again to do my shopping.  The shopping I did 9 days ago (enough for 6 full dinners) last me until today!  We like leftover night around here....

I spent $73 at Walmart, $8 at Akins, and $23 at Target and I got some snacks, cereal, and enough food for 5 dinners.   Not too shabby!!  But, I went light on the meat this time and that is usually my biggest expense.   Dinners upcoming this week are: 
  • Slow cooker clean veggie lasagna (with whole wheat french bread)
  • Clean meatball sub with roasted veggies & tomato sauce  (using the extra MB's I made the other night)
  • Skinny southern fried chicken (with Caesar salad and scalloped potato gratin)
  • Clean enchiladas (with salsa rice and black beans)
  • Clean "hamburger helper" (with my famous roasted green beans) 
At Walmart, I picked up a big box of whole grain goldfish. 

These are, by no means, healthy.  But, I ran out of animal crackers (which I just noticed has high fructose corn syrup) and I decided not to replenish,  I checked out the other "portable" snacks and the goldfish won out on this one, for budget-mindedness and not having artificial flavors or high fructose corn syrup.  It makes for a quick and easy snack if I'm on the go with my babies.

Here is what I got at Akins:

Tahini for my goddess dressing and my homemade hummus.  This was $8!  Seems really expensive and it was the cheapest brand Akins had...I'm still in search of a better deal. 

Target had some new stuff in their meat section I was pretty excited about.  My kids LOVE hot dogs but I do not buy hot dogs because they are so bad for you, with the cancer-causing chemicals, nitrites and nitrates.  But, I was ecstatic when I found these at Target:

No nitrites/nitrates, no preservatives, 100% grass-fed beef hot dogs!!!  So, to go with that, I got some whole wheat hot dog buns (ones with no high fructose corn syrup), so I went with my trusty 100% whole wheat Nature's Own:



Also, I always go to Target to get my ground beef because they have the no hormone/antibiotic free vegetarian fed beef there.  And I found a new brand that I haven't seen before:

It's the same brand as the hot dogs, so I figured I would try it out!  Also, it is grass-fed, not just vegetarian fed.  So, for those of you that know what that means, it is better trust me. 

I also have to get my organic whole wheat lasagna at Target because Walmart doesn't have anything but white lasagna noodles. 



So, I go to Akins first just for the Tahini, then to Walmart for everything I can get there (because it is quite a bit cheaper than Target) and to Target just for a couple things I simply could not get at Walmart.

So Baby Chris was my big helper today because he had to have an EEG at 3 pm and in order for it to be effective, they are supposed to be sleep-deprived.  Usually I would lay him down for a nap in the afternoon but I kept him awake by lugging him to all these grocery stores. 

If any of you know the story of Baby Chris, he has had 2 seizures in the last 2 months.  Our Pediatrician, (Dr. Raley, the BEST EVER!) is 99% sure they are febrile seizures (caused by fever), but we wanted to rule our any other possibilities.  So, we went to see a neurologist and scheduled the EEG for today. 

So, I dropped off my groceries, grabbed a quick green tea to-go from the house...


and headed to the Dr's to have the EEG performed. 

He pretty much cried the whole time they hooked him up but when they were actually performing the test, poor little guy fell fast asleep!  We will get the results next week.  Please be praying for him.

When we got home, I was so hungry!  I decided to make a quick and healthy snack.  It is key to have quick and healthy snacks on hand when you're a busy mama so that you don't reach for the unhealthy, nutrient void snacks when you're starving like I was.  Here is what I had:


Brown Rice Tortillas with salsa
I get these brown rice tortillas from Akins (in the frozen section in the back)


  • Set the oven to broil
  • Tear up semi-defrosted tortillas into small-ish pieces, place on cookie sheet.
  • Spray olive oil no-stick spray on top.
  • Sprinkle lightly with sea salt and fresh cracked pepper
  • Stick in the oven for 2-3 minutes and watch VERY closely.  These can burn in seconds flat. Mine were fully cooked, borderline burnt (just how I like them) in 2 minutes and 40 seconds.  
Even my husband had some and was loving them...and I might add my 2 y.o. could eat a whole tortilla herself!

So now I'm sitting down for the first time today....kids are watching treasure buddies and I'm gonna heat up some Amy's organic soup for dinner.  Wanna know my favorite canned soups?  OK well I'll tell you!  I prefer to make my own homemade soup, but the convenience of the can right now is where I'm at.  I LOVE Amy's organic soups.  You can find them at Walmart and Target (or probably most local grocery stores).  Here are my favorite ones:
Amy's organic black bean, lentil vegetable, low-fat minestrone (I love to add chickpeas to this one for extra proten!), chunky tomato, and Wolfgang Puck organic vegetable tortilla soup. 

Try to find low sodium where you can.  You wouldn't believe how much sodium is in your typical canned soup! 

Well that's it for now, thanks for reading!!

No comments:

Post a Comment